Friday, January 02, 2009

Gifts

One thing I find among many of my 4th graders, is how the word 'gifts' is equated with material gifts...things you can buy. When I try to explain to them about gifts of the heart, many of them look at me with blank looks on their faces. Oh, they eventually understand... but their idea is still monetary gifts... big, expensive, monetary gifts.I'm not saying there's anything wrong with monetary gifts, I hope there's not, because I also like to give them. But for me, the best gifts can't be bought.
Not long after Joshua, Erica, and Thalia arrived, Joshua made a little comment about needing to do a little shopping for my guy and I... he asked what we would like. I told him that I already had it, that they were here and that's all I wanted. I believe he kind of mocked me because he knew I'd say that.

It's true. I love it when I have my kids with me. When I say 'my kids', I'm referring to Joshua, Erica, Thalia, Gabrial, Emily, Lindsey, and Donnie...all of them. Family is so important to me and to me, that's one of the greatest gifts I have on this earth. Having my mom here too made it all the more special.Reading the Christmas story in Luke on Christmas morning.

So what I later found out, was my kids got together and decided to go in together to buy a Christmas present for us... I still can't believe they did it... it was so unexpected ...Out with the old, 1986, Sony TV...How to carry out the 1986 cabinet that's held the 1986 Sony TV for the past 23 years...Good-bye old cabinet...Hello our new 50" TV...So this gift... was it a monetary gift? Absolutely. Was it a gift of the heart? More than absolutely. While my guy and I still cannot believe how much we love it, cannot believe what a huge difference it makes, cannot believe our kids did this... we are touched more by the idea, the thought that went into this. That they thought about something they felt we would thoroughly enjoy, that they just wanted to do something so generous for us.... THAT is what means more to me than anything. The gift of the heart behind it all.Joshua got it all set up, programmed whatever needed to be programmed. Donnie is by his side offering assistance and learning about the history of our county at the same time. He's a multi-tasker!Joshua, Erica, Gabrial, Emily, Lindsey, Donnie... thank you so much... for the TV, definitely, but even more so, for the gift of your hearts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, the table is so pretty. Looks as if they were made to go together. I agree with you about the heart gifts. I think you have to be a mother or father to understand. Thanks for a wonderful time and as I said many memories were made. I'm enjoying them now. Love you, MOm

Anonymous said...

Jutze, the stand looks great. Good choice. Love you....
Josh

Anonymous said...

Yes the stand looks great! Its the perfect height and the same color as the coffee table and curio cabinet. It was a great Christmas, we loved it!

Love

Gabe & Emily

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! How special.