Thursday, September 03, 2009

Achievement

She did it!

My mom, the avid bridge player...the competitive player in no matter what she plays...achieved a huge milestone today... HUGE!

My mom became a Life Master...


She and her dear friend and bridge partner, June, are playing in a regional tournament in Fort Worth, Texas. I knew they were both close to the number of gold points they needed...and I felt like they would finally earn this coveted title in the bridge world... but you never know...

I was just getting ready to head out the door to go work out when the phone rang...

It was my mom and I think all she said after I said 'hello' was "WELL..." and I knew...I think I may have screamed....but I was shedding a few tears for her because I knew how much it meant to her. She and June are a team...and they both now have the title of "Life Master."June and my mom, Life Masters

Joyce and Irene, already Life Masters, came and played with Mom and June in the tournament. Joyce flew in from Chicago to play... this bridge-playing is serious business! (Which is why this blogger has absolutely no interest in playing... add to that the fact that I don't think I have a competitive bone in my body...) but my mom and I are extremely different in that regard!

I asked my Life Master Mom more about the requirements for this. First of all, you have to play a LOT! To be a Life Master, you need at least 300 points, 25 of which need to be GOLD points. Those aren't so easy to get. You can only earn them in a regional or national tournament. You also have to have at least 50 red points, 50 silver points, and the rest black points. Red and silver points are earned in sectional tournaments...and black points you earn whenever you play.

Before this regional tournament, my mom had 434 points...but not enough GOLD. Today at about 4 pm central time, she exceeded her 25 needed points.

I'm so proud of her...it's her bridge crown!

A huge congratulations to Mom and to June!


I guess I won't need to buy this book for you!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Saddie! I love you.
Josh

Anonymous said...

Thanks Josh, June and I had a lot of competition but we were so very lucky to have Joyce and Irene as our partners. Thanks again for your "Thanks". I love you Saddie

Anonymous said...

Good job Bonnalou!!! We're so proud of our Saddie. Love you, Linz

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linz for your compliment and thanks for your phone call even if I didn't get to talk to you. Give Benjamin a kiss for me and tell him I love him. I love you Saddie

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, thank you for the blog. It's great and it means so much to me. I love you, Mom

Judy said...

Hey Mom, Ron said you could clean those cards out of your sleeve now! (Just kidding, of course!)

Anonymous said...

Mom, Congratulations! We are very proud of you! Good blog Judy.

Love ya,

Your favorite son

Anonymous said...

Bonnie!

A card shark never sleeps! You are one of a kind old top. We are all very proud of you and love you very much Saddie.

Gabe, Emily and 'The King'

Anonymous said...

Little King, thanks for all the kind words. They mean so much to me. Would you tell your sweet parents that I appreciate their words too. I love you and your parents. Saddie

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Bon! I knew you could do it. Love you Becky

Anonymous said...

congratulations saddie. I'm so proud of you & I love you so much!
-Sami