Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Rocking Chair

On November 10, 1901, my grandfather was born...

On November 10, 1902, my grandfather was given this rocking chair.

On April 12, 1928, my mom's first birthday, she was given this rocking chair. That's the photo above. I don't remember when I got the rocking chair. I don't remember that we ever had it in our home when I was growing up...but after we moved to California, I brought it home. I know Mimi gave it to me, but I don't remember when. I know I didn't have it when Joshua was a baby, but here is Gabe in it... this was Easter of 1979, which means Gabe was about 6 months old.
Over Labor Day when Benjamin and Emerson came to visit, I put them in the rocking chair... the rocking chair that has never been refinished...that I don't want to refinish...
It's obviously not their first birthdays...
and they don't look overly excited about their rocking experience...
but eventually they'll probably fight over who gets to sit in it...

and that will make me smile...

I love this rocking chair, with the arms that have been worn from my grandfather, my mom, me, and my children rocking in it, rubbing their little hands over the wood....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy, great blog on the "Rocking Chair"! Looks like it is still in great shape!

Love ya,

Brother

Anonymous said...

Hey, who's that cute little girl in the bonnet with the easter eggs?

Great story about the chair Jutes.

Gabe

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog. It brought tears to my eyes thinking how your Mimi and your granddad would be so happy to see their great great grandsons sitting in it.I had the chair for quite awhile. It has never even had a loose piece of wood. The wood is ebony. Your Mimi's best friend was quite large and she would sit sideways in it. And now what a surprise-you're taking gold lessons. Good for you. I'll see you on TV playing with the LPGA. Go girl. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sweet blob Judy. Love, Becky