Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chatuchak Market and Coconut ice cream (July 27)

 Continuing with my fascination with the wires of Bangkok....we took off walking to the BTS...
 from the top of the walkway, I took a photo of Joshua & Erica's street....they live at the other end of this...
 If you come visit and ride the BTS, this is the stop you want to get off on...
 We were heading to the Chatuchak Market... you can see (barely) in this photo... the covers of a very small percentage of the booths in the market.  It's only open on the weekends...and it was P-A-C-K-E-D...and it's amazing!
 They have everything...fruit, vegetables, food to eat there, clothes, jewelry, art, junk, soap, candles, silk..everything!
 Have I mentioned the taxis?  You can taxi in a car...they're often PINK!
 or you can taxi in a Tuk-Tuk... so fun!


 You may notice Joshua and Erica next to the Tuk-Tuk...  other taxis are motorbikes (NO WAY am I riding one of those!)... The Tuk-tuks always try to overcharge...you just set the price before getting in.  The cars are legally suppose to set their meters, but often don't.  If they don't want to go where you ask, they'll just drive off or tell you no.  We've done both...
 We walked around the Chatuchak Market...I kept thinking I SHOULD buy this or that..and kept telling myself to keep walking and think about it...there's only one thing now I wish I'd gone ahead and bought.... it was a ceramic cup (not the ones below...but at the same shop) with engravings of elephants on it.  Oh well.........

 Coconuts...they are everywhere....and I now LOVE them!
 The food..I'm not OK with eating it unless I can see them cooking it...when it's sitting out like this...well, the author of the Johnston Chronicles isn't eating it!  Everyone else does...but there's no Thai blood in me...and I just don't feel bold enough to try it.  Meat sitting out?  Nope!
I'm not sure about caterpillar...I don't think I'll eat that either!
 These satays are delicious...and they were JUST cooked..and my baby boy loves them....he ate 4...they were only 10 baht each (that's about 30 cents!)  I had a couple...and then bought some Pad Thai... YUM!!!  We ate at this little restaurant (not like any American restaurant you've been to!)..I did a little video of the sounds too.  It was delicious!


 I watched this woman cook...the one under the TAK Thaifood sign....I was going to film her, but didn't.  She kept smiling at me as she cooked...


 This was my Pad Thai....shrimp Pad Thai...for 70 baht...(this would be around $2)!

 Walking around, we heard some music...Thai cowboys?
 As we were leaving, my little shopper was checking out the shirts...she bought 2.  Erica bought 3 dresses...and paid the equivalent of less than $10 for all three together!
 more coconuts....

 ahhhh.... I love hanging out with these two! (and Thalia and Lizbeth, too!!!)
 Walking back, you can see the Skytrain route (top) and the Skytrain walkway...for pedestrians...and, of course, the traffic!

 We stopped off at Central World...a mall...only we didn't go in the mall (except to get a coffee), but we went to a food festival that was going on.
 Desserts!  This isn't something I've seen much of...so I bought 4 pieces....for a total of 60 baht (about $2)....

Lizbeth had bought this...she gave me a taste...and I think it was before I had it all the way swallowed, I  knew I HAD to buy one, too.  It's half of a small coconut...with the coconut meat loosened...with coconut ice cream, drizzed with a little Carnation milk..and topped with chopped peanuts and something that looks like a golden rice, but I know that's not what it is...but this is my new favorite dessert!  Oh my gosh...and to think I've said forever that I hate coconut!  Well, I do...but I hate flaked coconut..and I love it fresh!
 As we headed toward home, we passed a spot where some traditional Thai dancers were trying to perform..inbetween the rains...
 We hopped back on the BTS...

and zoomed off for Phloen Chit...

ahh....another fun day in Bangkok!

No comments: