Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It sure has been busy here at the home of the Johnston Chronicles!

It's been a whirlwind around here lately ... starting about last Wednesday. That's the day we got the word that the carpet would be put in Lindsey's and the new upstairs room ... on Friday.

Here comes 'Speedy Petey.' He and my guy started putting in all the baseboards and trim. This needed to be done before the carpet came in. Oh, it could have been done the other way around, but it would make a mess on the new carpet. No way, said Pete. "We'll knock this thing out!"

Don't Pete and my guy look great in their matching shirts? They did this as a fashion statement for the Johnston Chronicles. Yep!

Mission was accomplished... and Friday morning, here came the carpet guy.... he did a great job, too!Here we are standing in the hallway looking in Lindsey's original door.

Now, you may be thinking, "Well, so what? That doesn't sound too bad to me!" Well, let me show you something else:
This photo is not to show the wheels on The Great White....no, it's so you can see what's in the back. A washing machine. Thank goodness "when it rains it pours" was not referring to the water in our ANCIENT washing machine. It did leak some on the floor. I had been telling my sweet husband 'WE NEED A NEW WASHING MACHINE!' He patiently ignored me...until he ran out of clothes and I told him WE had to go to the laundromat. Ah ha...that did it. Thus, the photo above!

This led to the garage situation. It's a disaster. This has been the dumping grounds for everything that was in the rooms we've been working in. Only now, we needed some room to manuever the washers. So... a great part of Saturday was spent cleaning out some of the garage.This was a pile starting for St. Vincent de Paul. Now, I certainly didn't throw these away! It's a whole basket of Gabe's baseballs. Homerun balls, balls from when he pitched... but they're in the garage right now.Can you guess what these are? These are Gabe's old baseball pants, torn and ragged, but he wants to keep them.

Once the washing machine was finally in (and the old one is sitting out in the driveway since the dump was closed!), then Pete came back to finish the electrical.
See this photo? Well, Pete didn't realize I had walked into the room. Think, blog readers...can you guess what happened? Hint: I almost got to practice CPR.

Give up?

Well, I took a picture...with a flash.

Pete didn't know I was there...he thought he had hit a hot wire and it was arcing...or however you say it. I swear, I've never seen Pete move SO FAST! He jumped and maybe he even screamed. I think I screamed. I apologized...and apologized. He laughed. I didn't.
Then came the ceiling fans....another story.So the ceiling fan was put in. They turned it on... it worked. The light was on, the fan was fanning. Ah...it was finished, it looked good. Ron turned the light off but left the fan on. Fast forward about an hour later. My guy went up to admire their handiwork, flipped on the light...well, he flipped the switch, but no light. Fan was still fanning, but no light. RATS!

He saw Pete a little later and told him. I will not repeat what Pete said. Just suffice it to say, it's not for a PG rating blog.

Pete being Pete, here he came back over...found the problem and fixed it! We're working on it. There's still so much to do, but it's coming along. Behind this door are the beginnings of two piles...one is for Lindsey to go through, the other is for Gabe. We don't seem to have much of Joshua's old things...except we do have his Marine medals and awards, which are staying here for now!

Lindsey and Gabe, here's a preview of your piles...Now do you understand what I mean when I say, "It's been a whirlwind around here..."?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goobe, I think it might be time to part with your barbies. I know they are special to you but mom needs the room. I'll be here if you need a shoulder to cry on. Love you bro,
Josh

Anonymous said...

Pop, everytime I'm away from McKinleyville you tell me how clean your garage is. The funny thing is everytime I come up it's a wreck. Better put that on the project list.
Josh

Anonymous said...

Joshua, you wouldn't believe how long the "Joshua List" is.... I had to remind your Pops that you're coming for a VACATION... not a work party! LOL

I can hardly wait for ya'll to get here!
:)Mom

Anonymous said...

Those Barbies may be worth something. And you never know... someday I may have a daughter and I will want to give the Barbies to little Joshua. What a pretty name for a little girl... you are so lucky.