Friday, December 19, 2008

Grandpa

Grandpa... Sid ... Keith ... Dad ...

God called him home yesterday morning ... He gave him to us for 85 years - a blessing... an absolute blessing.
JoAnn and Keith, in the fall of 1951

Just for myself, I have known and loved him for 40 years. I was 14 when my guy and I started dating... and now I'm 54. Jo and Sid, as I call them, have been special to me since the day I met them.

Sid worked in a job where he had to wear a suit and tie. I don't think he ever liked wearing that, but he did. I remember in later years, when my guy was in college, Sid advised him to find a career he would enjoy... not just to look at the pay. I can remember him walking in the back door of the Sweetwood house, changing his clothes, and wondering what was for dinner. Jo is a cook, a great cook, so dinner was always a treat. Sid barbequed a lot. When it was chicken, he'd barbeque 4: one for Larry, one for Ron, one for Dave, and the other one, he, Jo, and I would split.

He used to like to smoke Salems. That's the only cigarette I ever remember him smoking. But he usually had one. I can't remember how many years ago he stopped, but it's been a long time.


Joshua adored his Grandpa. He loved to go to the farm - still loves to go there, along with the other 8 grandchildren.
Jo, Joshua, and Sid, May, 1977
Dave, Sid, Larry, my dad - John


Our families (my guy's side and my side) have always gotten along so well...loved and cared for each other. Our families became 'our family' - singular. Saddie has always said Sid was 'pretty'... that he was the best looking one of the bunch. Now I don't know how that made Larry, Ron, and Dave feel, but Saddie didn't care, she said she was just telling like it is.
Saddie, Joshua, Sid, May 1977

I remember telling our kids that not all families are like ours - where everyone gets along so well. I remember telling them to always remember that their spouse's family is what help make them the way they were...to make the time, the effort, to love and cherish them.Grandpa and Josh, May 1977

I might have asked Sid what he was doing giving Joshua champagne. I can't remember. But I know what he would have said, "Oh it's just a little bit. It won't hurt him."

Sid was an awesome dad. He would get a little aggravated with his boys at times, but he was pretty patient too. When Ron brought home Nor, I don't know if Sid necessarily wanted a dog - but you can see how he accepted him, petted him, fed him, cleaned up after him, etc.
Sid and Nor, August, 1977

Sid wasn't much of a traveler... he loved to putter around the house and especially down at the farm where his parents lived. He and Jo did occasionally venture to southern California to visit his youngest brother, Paul.Jo, Sid, and Paul, September, 1977
I remember seeing Paul, Audrey, and their daughter, Marianne,coming to Texas to visit and driving into the driveway in their station wagon
Paul, Audrey, Sid, Jo, Dave, August, 1977

Sid loved being Grandpa... he was Grandpa to nine... in this order: Joshua, Brenda, Gabrial, Lissette, Lindsey, Ashley, Travis, Grant, Reid.
Grandpa with Brenda, August 20, 1977

In December, 1977, Meme and Grandpa (Sid's parents) celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary. Many of us were there for this milestone.

Ron, Sid, JT, Isabelle, Meme, Grandpa - 70th Anniversary party, December, 1977


One summer, Jo and Sid rented a house on Galveston Island. A bunch of us all stayed there together - Larry, Sandra, and Brenda & Ron, Joshua, and I. I remember the sand being so blasted hot that you couldn't even run across it to the water without burning your feet. Sid said, "Well, put on some shoes!"

When my guy, Joshua, and I moved to Oregon, that was a trip Sid enjoyed taking. In June of 1978, Jo, Sid, Larry, Sandra, and baby Brenda came to visit. We took them to see Crater Lake. Ron and Sid, June, 1978

Sid, Sandra, Jo with Joshua, Larry with Brenda, and me, Crater Lake, Oregon, June, 1978


By the time 1978 rolled around, Gabe was part of the family. Gabe loved his grandpa - I think he wanted Grandpa's hat... his signature hat. I always remember him wearing these.Grandpa and Gabe, January, 1980

Lindsey joined us in 1981. She was the 4th grandchild. Lissette had joined Larry's family. Lissette and Lindsey are about a year apart, both February birthdays. They would vie for Grandpa's attention. I'm sure he loved being the target of a duel for love between two little darling granddaughters. Grandpa with Lindsey and Joshua, May, 1981

Sandra, Larry, Jo, Sid, Joshua, Grandpa, Gabe - at the farm, June, 1981


In July, 1981, Grandpa and I drove in his truck back to California. I don't remember how the kids and I originally got to Texas, but we came back with Sid. We had the kids in the back of the pick-up...that had a topper over the truckbed. I remember Joshua would write Sid and I notes and show it to us through the glass. I did the same to Josh. I can still remember Sid laughing at the boys arguing in the back ... who knows what it was about?


Grandpa was always ready for a 'project.' My guy, of course, had plenty of 'projects' for Sid to do. Josh, being the worker he has always been, was eager to help. Gabe...well, he would help ... sometimes... sometimes willingly, sometimes not. This trip, Sid helped put in a lawn. He also did some work in our flower beds.
Joshua and Grandpa, July 1981

Grandpa, Gabe, Josh - July 1981 (Notice Gabe's expression?)


Being a farm boy, Grandpa knew how to do all kinds of projects. Here, he was helping me by stirring a batch of apricot jam I was making. He took some home, of course.
Sid stirring apricot jam - July, 1981

I don't remember the occasion, but this was taken in September, 1981. Paul, Isabelle, Sid, JT, with Grandpa.

Grandpa with Lissette, December, 1981

December, 1981. Gabe was trying to check out what all the fuss was about.


In June, 1982, Grandpa came back to California to visit and do some projects. Notice how he must have been delegating... Joshua and an agreeable Gabe were using their wagon to haul rocks.
Gabe, Joshua, Grandpa, Lindsey - June, 1982

June, 1982


The farm has always been a place of interest... from the creek, to the tractors, to the barns, to the mailboxes...and even to the garage. Grandpa must have instilled his love of 'projects' to his grandchildren. Maybe Brenda and Lissette were just watching Gabe work. Hopefully, he was sawing something Grandpa knew about. The boys were known to cause a bit of destruction to items Grandpa didn't give the OK for.
Joshua, Lissette, Brenda, Gabe - July, 1982


Grandpa also taught the boys how a horse eats corn... just in case you're wondering, this was not a literal lesson on horses. Joshua liked to try to show Grandpa what he had learned.
Grandpa and Joshua - March, 1983


My guy is patient... I think he learned it from his dad. Looks like Ron is frustrated with something...or someone here. I'm sure Grandpa is giving him a bit of advice.
Sid, Lindsey, Ron - December, 1983

Grandpa, like I said, loved his grandkids. I do believe he would do anything for them. That is evidenced in this picture of he and Lindsey. He doesn't look overjoyed with having his lap full of dolls, but Lindsey couldn't tell. She was as happy as could be.
Lindsey, Grandpa, and an army of dolls - December, 1984

Because Grandpa loved his grandkids, coupled with his love of projects, a treehouse for 'My Buddy,' one of Lindsey's most favorite dolls, was built at the farm by Grandpa.
My Buddy's treehouse, December, 1985

Family reunions are always a good time. Jo always works so hard to make them successful. I know Grandpa loved having all the family together.
Dave, Paul, and Sid - reunion in August, 1986


Joshua has always loved the tractors at the farm. When he was very young, Grandpa would let him drive the tractor and even his pickup!
Joshua(10 years old) driving everyone around the farm on the tractor - Family reunion, August, 1986


Buying gifts for Grandpa was always fun. We all wanted to give him things he could use working around the farm. These overalls were a great idea, and Grandpa, was kind enough to model them for us. We decided they were a bit...well, large.
Christmas, 1986

When it was time for 'the tree,' one of the grandkids usually played 'Santa' and handed out the gifts. Grammy and Grandpa would sit and enjoy having all their family there together... and the gifts we love to give them.
Grandpa and Grammy, Christmas, 1986


In the summer of 1992, Jo and Sid took another trip to California to see Paul and Audrey. A favorite place to go was Dana Point. Paul and Sid enjoyed their beverages while they caught up on all the news.

Audrey, Paul, Sid - Dana Point, California - August, 1992


In August of 1993, Jo and Sid ventured up in our part of California. My guy and I decided to take them up to Oregon for a riverboat ride. Sid was - well, less than enthusiastic about going. I kept telling him it would be fun. Jo was excited about it, but not Sid.

Once we got started, I could tell he was enjoying it. After it was all said and done, Sid thanked me for convincing him to go. He said he thoroughly enjoyed it.
Riverboat ride out of Grants Pass, Oregon - August, 1993

Jo and Sid, November, 1994

Grandpa has always had 'his chair.' In the Sweetwood house, Grandpa has HIS chair. If anyone else sat in it, he wouldn't say a word. He didn't have to have it, but we all knew it was his chair. Even lately, when people would sit in his chair, whenever Grandpa walked in, we would just get up so he could sit it. He'd usually say, "Oh, that's ok, you can sit there." But we didn't. I think it's been a sign of respect.
Grandpa in his chair, December, 1994

As I've been pouring through my old photo albums, digitizing old photographs of Grandpa, I am realizing more how thankful I am that photography is a love of mine. I look through these and watch our family grow, remember little things I might have forgotten, and watch us all as we age. I guess this blog is truly a chronicle of the Johnston's.... and of the Barkers ... and the Stewarts... the Drumms... and it will continue.

I have no idea where my pictures are between 1994 and 2004. I know they're here somewhere. I have to find them. But during this gap of time, Sid was diagnosed with Parkinsons. He has persevered, kept on trucking, as the saying goes. The farm has been his saving grace - well, second to Jo, who has devoted her life to taking care of her Keith, as she more often called him - either Keith, or Dad.

What follows are just photographs of Grandpa... of Sid... of Dad with his family by his side. At holidays, during our summer visits, and at 3 of the 4 weddings of his grandchildren.

Grandpa and Lindsey, December 2004

In the Pole Barn, December, 2004

Opening something warm to wear at the farm, December, 2004

Lindsey thanking Grandpa for her bra! December, 2004

With Bonnie (aka, Saddie) - December, 2004

Surveying all the delicious treats Jo always has available - December, 2004

In his chair, with his new neck-pillow - December, 2005For Christmas, 2005, Jo and Sid bought each other leather coats. Look at Grandpa! He's all dressed up. I wonder where we were going? Probably out to eat. December, 2005

A few years ago, Grandpa had the grand idea to buy a golf cart to ride around the farm. The issue was debated for awhile, but it ended up being perfect for the farm. Later on, Lissette decided to make it a TEXAS golf cart and added a pair of longhorns to the front. Everyone loves to drive it.
Joshua driving Grandpa around in the TEXAS golf cart! December, 2006Sid and Ron burning trash - December, 2006

Some of the finer parts of Christmas, Grandpa never figured out. For example, when any of three sons would ask what he wanted for Christmas, he told them all the same thing. Seeing as all three sons live in different cities and one (my guy) in a different state, well, sometimes Grandpa would end up with multiples. Christmas 2006, he asked for a hammer... he ended up with FIVE!
Grandpa with 2 hammers......with 3 hammers... and he went on to get 5!

Josh and Grandpa checking out what they need to put in the golf cart. - December, 2006

Hanging out in the pole barn...cooking a deep-fried turkey. - December, 2006


This photographer asked the master turkey cookers to pose. They were all agreeable.Donnie, Sid, Dave, Larry, Ron, Gabe, and Joshua - December, 2006

A group shot of the family - December, 2006

In November, 2007, my guy and I, along with the rest of our family, came to Texas for Addison and Kasi's wedding. It was also Thanksgiving.Saddie and Sid - Thanksgiving, 2007

Grandpa out sweeping the garage - November, 2007

For Thanksgiving, 2008, my guy and I decided to head to Texas. Our kids and my mom were coming home for Christmas instead of all of us heading to Texas. I am so thankful we went. My mom, along with John David, Becky, and Sami joined the farm crew for Thanksgiving Day.
One of the three tables we had for Thanksgiving dinner.Sid and Bonnie (Saddie) - Thanksgiving, 2008As always, Grandpa was checking out what there was to munch on. Looks there's only a persimmon!Brenda was helping Grandpa with some of his exercises. She was so good with her grandpa!Hanging out in the living room. Grandpa is surrounded by his family - which he loved.

Grandpa was able to be at the weddings of Lindsey, Gabe, and Brenda. Joshua's wedding was held in Las Vegas, which was too difficult for him at the time.
Saddie, Lindsey, Donnie, Jo, Sid - January 19, 2003

At Gabrial and Emily's wedding - March 1, 2003

Brenda and Grandpa

Keith, Sid, Dad, and Grandpa... we will miss you - incredibly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy your family history has touched my heart. To Sid . . . with love.
Laner

Anonymous said...

Sid was very special to me and he'll be missed so very much.
Bonnie