Sunday, October 04, 2009

Cheap Thrills

Fair warning...

If you suffer from arachnophobia, you may not like this post...

The yellow flowers are a distraction from the rest of this blog for those of you who may not want to view the following.... This is a pumpkin spider. They're beautiful...at least when they're outside my window.

This is a pumpkin spider running to catch his prey...

"Gotcha!"

I suppose I could call this poor crane fly his prey. Usually when you have a prey, you have a predator. In this case, however, the predator of the crane fly was...
No, it was not Emerson...it was not Benjamin...

It was their Papa...

As I was cooking in the kitchen, he came in, "Hey, come out and let me show you something." I'm sure not every person is as lucky as I am to have their guy show them such wonderful things.

He knows I detest the crane flies...can't stand them. So...in order to be my knight in shining armor, he picks them out of the yard and throws them in the web.

Actually, forget the knight in shining armor line. That's not true. I could think he was practicing so he would be great at catching bugs with Emerson and Benjamin. Or...maybe he's trying to get as good at catching bugs as Thalia? I don't really know. But what I do know is this...he was having a grand ole time throwing the flies in the web and watching the spider wrap them up.



If you're wondering why this photo looks a little different, it's because it's a different pumpkin spider. See, my guy wasn't content to just feed one spider, oh no, he's feeding multiple spiders. We have an overabundance of crane flies.Hopefully, we won't have an enormous population of pumpkin spiders next year since their parents were so well fed.

Like I said in the title of this post:

Cheap Thrills around here at the Johnston Chronicles!

I thought I better end this with something a little more pleasing to the eye...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the spiders. I think when I come up the spider will be the prey and the bottom of my shoe will be the predator. Pops, you should look in to dogs or cats. I've heard they make good pets too.
UJosh