Thursday, January 14, 2016

Royal Observatory Greenwich

 Ron and I took off on our own and headed by bus to the Royal Observatory.
I had seen this before...from the road, but never had come up and gone through it.
I've taught about the Prime Meridian for years...so this was fascinating to both of us!
 The Armillary Sundial

 This spire was in the distance...I just liked the looks of it!
 In one of the small museums we went through, there were a LOT of chronometers.  Pretty fascinating!






 The Octagon Room









 Um?  I wonder if these are some of my ancestors?




 Here we are standing on the Prime Meridian!  One foot in the eastern hemisphere and one foot in the western hemisphere!


















I'm so glad we went there!  It was the bulk of the day for sure.  By the time we got home, it was dark.  London is so far north, that it's dark by about 4:30 p.m.!  Definitely short days! 

No comments: