Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Lindsey

27 Years ago...

February 19, 1981, at around 5 o’clock in the afternoon, Lindsey blessed us with her birth.

I cried and I cried...Ron and I had a daughter...a baby girl. Joshua and Gabrial had a baby sister.

I had had a feeling we were having a girl, but I wouldn’t let myself believe it too strong. My prayer was that this baby would be healthy... a boy or girl wasn’t as important as that, but I DID want and hope for a daughter.

Lindsey never knew ‘quiet’...she had two rambunctious brothers who wanted to play...wanted to hold her...and didn’t care to slow down and play quieter just because she might want to sleep. Gabe threw Tonka trucks in her bassinet - actually hitting her a time or two. He just wanted her to have some fun too. Joshua was more of her protector at that time, after all, he was a grown up 4 3/4 years old!
I loved those days...I remember rocking Lindsey while I nursed her and sang to her...watching the boys play. They would hang on the rocking chair and watch their sister and sometimes we would all sing to her. “Lovely, lovely little Lindsey, lovely little Lindsey, we love you...” that’s what we’d sing. I wonder if they remember that?Lindsey has always been independent...strong willed in a very quiet manner...a deep thinker...a lover of animals...a serious student...driven...calm... compassionate...a lover of Christ...dedicated...a teacher in many forms...

I remember when she introduced me to her ‘friend’ Donnie. I remember telling my friend, Mickie, that THAT’S the kind of guy I’d love for her to marry. She did. We feel blessed.
Now Lindsey is in the midst of a health battle. She remains strong willed, driven, calm, a teacher, a lover of Christ...depending on Him as she always has. She tells me not to worry, but to continue praying. I do...I am...I pray for her continually. She’s my baby girl...always has been, always will be. I want all God’s blessings showered on her and Donnie. Today, her 27th birthday, doesn’t make me think about her more, I don’t know if that’s possible, but it just sparked me to write it all down, to try to put a small fraction of it into words.

I love you, Lindsey... I pray this 27th year brings you more blessings than we can even hope or imagine.

Happy Birthday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, it is a very special day for a special little girl. I wish your Mimi could have lived to see her granddaughter grown. One of the last things she did before she lost her reality was to have me address your birthday card for her. She loved you so much as I do.
Happy Birtheday Lindsey. Saddie

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Linz!!

27 seems so old! I guess its all perspective though because many readers think 27 is so young.

Speaking of perspective... my recollection of our youth has ME as the protector, shielding poor little Penzer from the mean older brother Josh. Haha JK! I like to remember being very sweet and loving to Lindsey though there may have been an isolated moment or two where I caused Linz a just a touch of grief.

I love you Lindsey! It is fun to see those old pics and think about growing up.

jujabbo said...

Thanks Mom (my biggest prayer warrior)! Thanksfully, Gabe, I don't remember getting hit with Tonka trucks as a babe but I do remember many other times when I was treated a bit rough (to put it mildly)!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Linz!!! We love you!!!
Gabe, your recollections might be a little off. My memory is of isolated moments when you were sweet and loving to Linz. J/K We all had great times growing.
Josh

Anonymous said...

Gabe, just wanted to say you look really nice in that shirt. LOL You probably should have took some lessons from your older brother such as the trendy shorts I was wearing. That's called style boy!
Josh
The much more fashionable brother.

Judy said...

I had to go back and look to see what shirt Gabe had on. "E.T. PHONE HOME" Geez, how many times did you guys all use to say that? How many times did you watch the movie? Remember the ET stuffed animals? Lindsey LOVED ET! Maybe she picked out Gabe's shirt that day and he just wanted to make her feel her suggestion was valued???

Anonymous said...

Yes, I wore the ET shirt for Lindsey. Nice socks Grute. I guess we all agree that I am the nice, loving, sweet brother who defended little Penzerod from her mean older brother.

You got it Jutes.. an act of charity for little linz, not a style mistake.

jujabbo said...

Style mistake! I like the ET shirt. Then again I guess I might have picket it out. Baseball style too, a plus! The shorts are a bit too short, and snug, but with the socks it makes a nice combo.