Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sami visits the Pacific Ocean

Sami came to visit this summer...first time in 14 years! I had no idea it had been that long since she'd been here.

I guess I should feel bad...that we aren't loved up here in northern California...we're only good for a visit every 14 years or so??? (just kidding)
We drove north and went to the little town of Trinidad. It's about as picturesque as they come... The Trinidad Lighthouse overlooks Trinidad Bay...and it's beautiful!
Sami leaped out of the car in the beautiful drizzle...
She checked out the bay and all the boats...
We headed down to the beach...Sami was unsure about walking the beach because, well, it wasn't your typical beach weather...
It was probably about 50 -55 degrees...and a bit damp... drizzly...it had actually been raining, but the droplets lightened up and I called it a drizzle... My mom, who was resting warm and comfortably in the car, called it rain.
"Come on, Sami," I told her. A little drizzle never hurt anyone. Sami bundled up and we headed down on the beach.
Sami was curious about the sand. (Actually, she was looking for shells...)
While she looked, I took a little stroll over by that huge rock...I was looking to see if the tide was low enough to see any critters...like sea stars, sea anemones, etc...but no luck, the tide was too high... Sami kept checking out the sand...
She thought about going for a swim, but I outlawed it. (I use the word "outlaw" because of the post previous to this one...)
"Sami! Don't go in that water!!! It's cold..." I screamed. (Not really)
Oh geez...she was tempting fate...
"Aunt Judy! My feet got wet!"

I ignored her...
Sami just rolled up her pants legs and got away from the water. She decided to leave her mark on the beach.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that no one would probably see her mark...
because the tide was coming in...and it would cover it up...erase it...
So I took photographs of her marks...her name carved in the sand...in the sand on a beach in northern California...in the picturesque little haven of Trinidad...
It was fun, Sami!

Hopefully you'll come back before another 14 years has passed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, sweetie. It was so much fun, maybe next time it will be warm. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Aunt Judy,
I'm so excited that I got to come to Cali and visit. I will most DEFINITELY not wait another 14 years to come visit again. thanks for doing the blog. I love you and hope you have a wonderful and safe trip :)

loove you!
-Sami

Anonymous said...

Those are some beautiful pictures! Looks like a typical summer day to me! It was nice having you out here Sami, Emily and I are looking forward to seeing you back soon!

Gabe

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Judy! Good times at the beach! Samantha, Im glad you had a great trip.

Love ya,

Dad

Anonymous said...

I have come as many times as I could.In fact I have been more than my parents the past few years. Hmm let's see who really cares!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sami,I love and miss you. Hope to see you soon.

Love,
You cousin thalia