Monday, June 13, 2011

My Dad

This is my dad...holding John David, my little brother.  This would be in 1960...with my dad being 33 years old....John David being months old. ( I would have been about 6 years old.)

My dad...John...left this world 31 years ago today...on June 13, 1980.  He was 58 years old....

I still think about him so much...think what he would think about his grandchildren...about his great-grandchildren...

I know he would absolutely love this blog...he was a writer... and he loved his family... so when I put those two things together, I know he would have been a regular reader of the JohnstonChronicles! 

My dad also loved golf... he loved sports...he loved Arnold Palmer...he loved the Indianapolis 500... he loved Stan Musial and the St. Louis Cardinals...he loved, absolutely loved dogs!

He was patient...he was calm... he was quiet... he loved his family... he called me 'Ju-Ju'...

It hurts - still - that he never met his granddaughter... I found out I was pregnant with Lindsey when I was back in Texas for his funeral...  Sometimes, my kids will refer to him as 'your dad'...and I totally understand since they can't remember him, but a part of me saddens when I think about what they missed in not really knowing him and vice versa.

I'm so thankful I had him for 26 years... so thankful for those parts of him that I have... so those parts of who I am that he instilled in me...

My dad...

9/365

1 comment:

laner said...