Sunday, May 02, 2010

Holding the ladder...

It was a beautiful day today...the wind picked up, but not near as wild and cold as yesterday. My guy worked on trimming the bushes by the front door...while I was inside making a delicious new recipe for spaghetti and meatballs...YUM!
My guy kept asking me to come outside..."I need you to hold the ladder."

I DO NOT like to 'hold the ladder.' It makes me nervous...I'm not afraid of heights, but I'm afraid of my guy being so high up off the ground...on a ladder that doesn't seem real stable to me.

"Oh it's alright, just hold the ladder so it doesn't slip!"

Yeah, right...like how in the world could I stop it? Well, just in case, I had my camera around my neck.
He started to climb...but waited until I got there. Notice my sun tea brewing on the table? I love iced tea! Of course, it wasn't ICED tea yet...I still had to add ICE!

Back to the 'holding the ladder' scenario...notice how high the back of the house is? Oh geez, I don't like it....
Pretty nice view? (Whose view do you think I'm talking about?)
Check out the shadows...
and you may notice my guy has on his "climbing the ladder and cleaning the gutter out' shoes. He has a different pair of shoes for about everything he does. That's my guy!
He would climb the ladder...and then clean as much as he could safely reach...then down he'd come, move the ladder, and back up he'd go. I took a quick photo as he started to climb back up.
He carried his 5 gallon bucket up the ladder with him each time...that's where he put the needles and leaves - mostly needles from the redwoods behind our house - from the gutter.
"BE CAREFUL UP THERE!"
Kirkland Laundry Detergent...those buckets are good for more than laundry soap! See all the needles in his GLOVED hand?
Getting ready to drop some more in the bucket... Oh geez, it's just SO high....
Down he comes...down the ladder...step by careful step...
Whew! Still not finished...time to move the ladder.

Up he goes...
I was mentally holding the ladder at this point...but I yelled, "Wait a minute, Dear!"
After my grueling job of holding the ladder... I snapped a few photos in the backyard...

Ahhh, blueberries! The bushes are loaded with them...

We may not have the best weather around here, but you just can't beat a beautiful day on the coast...and that's what today was!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are amazing! You and that D90 are quite a team... Lookin steady up there pop! That's a morning you make sure you have some coffee, but not too much coffee!!

Gabe

Anonymous said...

Pops, I need to clean my gutters as well. I've been putting it off until I find a good pair of "gutter cleaning shoes". Good blog Jutze. Don't let pops get to carried away on his ladder climbing. Love you guys.
Josh

Arctifacter said...

We just watched the old movie Tender Mercies and heard Robt. Duvall sing "your song," If You'll Hold the Ladder, I'll Climb to the Top." (country western) You might even like the movie if you haven't seen it. Love to you and Ron from Hunserville....

Judy said...

Helen, I can't remember if I've watched that movie or not! I've always liked Robert Duvall. I'll have to put it on our list for netflix! I love the name of the song... I know Ron would 'climb to the top' for me...and I'd 'climb to the top' for him! :)

Anonymous said...

hi all
http://www.tor.com/community/users/deobolighgab1975
http://www.tor.com/community/users/idwancakent1983
http://www.tor.com/community/users/rabigrecur1972
http://www.tor.com/community/users/dustgevacons1970
http://www.tor.com/community/users/folkrobertoy1988