Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Boy turns 32

Gabe...my baby boy...is 32 years old today.

I laugh at this picture, with him walking in his daddy's boots...thinking of his little man, Emerson, walking in his Papa's berkinstock shoes this past weekend...

Time...it seems unreal to realize that this little boy has a little boy...doing the same things he did. I remember this picture like it was yesterday...it was pretty cool in the house...the wood stove was going...toys on the floor...
How precious is this...
This has always been one of my favorite pics of the boys...
Joshua was so used to saying 'cheese' that he said it with absolutely no expression. Gabe, on the other hand, is still happy to say it...to have his picture made...
This tricycle was one we gave him for his first birthday...he doesn't look too thrilled with it...or was he mad because his brother was gaining on him? This was taken in front of our house in Seiad Valley.
Bathtime...oh so much fun! I look at this expression on Gabe, and I see Emerson...exactly!
A little older...a different tricycle...
This was in August, 1979...Gabe wasn't quite a year old...we were at Mimi's house in Texas...and here they are in their Saddie's lap...
Their Mimi absolutely adored them too...her great grandsons...
At the farm, Gabe was swinging with Grammy...that swing is still there...I still swing in it...maybe Gabe will swing in it with his little man next time they go there!
Ah...how often do you have pictures with your Great-great grandfather? At the farm...this was Grandpa... Grandpa's father...we called them both Grandpa!
Joshua and Gabrial loved to rock together...
They drew pictures and colored together... Hello Emerson...oh, I mean, Gabe!
I made the boys robes one year when I was in my sewing part of life...
The boys got matching raincoats for Christmas in 1979... Gabrial loved to climb all over this...
Uh-oh...at Saddie's...in the Texas heat, a little fun was had with the water hose...
This still makes me laugh...
Like I said, Gabe always liked to climb...what kind of mom was I to let this little guy be up in a TREE?
He laughed...a fake laugh...
This wasn't unusual. Gabe would go 90mph all day...then collapse. Poor Joshua....he was always a nap-taker...but when his little brother stopped taking naps, Joshua couldn't sleep...Gabe was a bit...well, LOUD. (Emily, do you think he's outgrown the loudness?)
At times he sat still...maybe he was in trouble? or maybe, possibly, he was just relaxing...
This was Easter...would you have guessed that if I hadn't told you?
One of the boys' friends was Jay...we called him Jaybird...his dad was our pastor.
Looks like Jaybird came to eat spaghetti with his buddies.
For a year, we had a foreign exchange student from Japan, Misuzu. Gabe was in his first year of college...and he'd come home some weekends. Misuzu was infatuated with him...well, there's a story...

Misuzu loved to watch American movies... Our TV room at the time was fairly small...and you could close two sets of doors to seal off the room. Well, here was Misuzu watching a movie, Gabe was home and went in...he proceeded to...well, pass a little gas...well, maybe a LOT...and Misuzu never said a word. I walked in and about lost everything I had eaten in the last 7 days because the odor was so horrendous...I can't remember what happened...except I realized HOW infatuated she must have been with him... Gabe, I still can't believe you did that!
You can see the extreme excitement on Gabe's face as he held the flag while someone was getting back in our boat after skiing...
Not sure what this look is??? Have you seen it before, Emily?
High School prom.... Gabe was NOT one to enjoy events like this...but this year he went...and oh my, did he ever look great in his tuxedo.
Sports, for all those of you who really know Gabe, have always...ALWAYS...been a big part of his life...from little league to the big leagues with baseball...football from Pee-wee through high school...basketball from a little guy through high school. One year, his team all shaved their heads... they must have been ahead in this game, because Gabe and Samone didn't often sit out...
Remember that episode with Misuzu in the living room? Well... never mind, you can probably figure that one out...
Who is this third baldy? Samone, Gabe, and .... is that Matty? No, I think it may be the Fikester??? Who is this, Gabe?
Gabe was often a great big brother to his baby sister...he would sometimes help her figure things out...like new cameras at Christmas...He was good to her ... most of the time...

Remember that episode with Misuzu? Well, when it happened with Lindsey, she wasn't as...tolerant as Misuzu...
Christmas morning, 1999...I wonder who Gabe is talking to?
He and Brandon have been buddies for so long...so long...Brandon is still living here...and they still hang out together...go to concerts together...talk about their boys together...
Gabe played college baseball for 3 different colleges...and of course, for the Philles too.
I love this picture...love it! He, obviously, was a catcher.
I don't remember what year this was...but he was starting to look like the man he is today...I see Gabe now, and I still see him like this. Oh, there might be some gray hair here and there...but he's still my baby boy...
and I love...absolutely love...watching him with his baby boy...
He's a great daddy...

and I know Emily feels he's a great husband...He's always been a great son...

Happy Birthday, Gabe...

Your dad and I love you dearly!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday big brother! I hope you have a great weekend! I actually think that Benjamin looks a lot like you when you were a baby. Love you, Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Gabe, Happy Birthday! I remember many of these pictures. I don't believe that you might have passed a little GAS! Not You! Hope you had a great Birthday!

Love ya,

UJ

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Gabe,I hope you and Emily had a great time yesterday. The picture of you, Samone and Matty, take a close look at you and you will see how much you look like your UJ. Have many more. I love you Saddie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Grute! I'm still looking for payback from the ruthless attack with the water hose. I was only running so more water would get to Saddie's lawn. As I recall it was very dry that year.

Hope you and Emily had a great wekend.
Your Bro.

Anonymous said...

I must admit that in my old age I require contacts or glasses to see much but it does appear as though Josh is crying in that picture!! It was a long road to becoming such a tough Marine!!!

Great blog mom, I don't think I had seen all of those pictures. I definately see Emerson in some of those pictures.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

Gabe

Anonymous said...

What a nice blog Judy! I love seeing the pictures of Gabe as a young pup. You must think of him as a little boy a lot when you see Emerson.

Happy Birthday Gabe! I love you!!!
Emily