Monday, August 04, 2008

"The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few"

You may recognize the title of this post...it's from Matthew 9:37 and also Luke 10:2. I don't think - well, I know - that Jesus wasn't talking about plums and blueberries when He said this, but for this post, it's appropriate!

See, Rema has this tree, a plum tree to be exact, a very BOUNTIFUL plum tree. She claims it's totally organic ... she hasn't pruned it, fed it, watered it, nothing for oh, something like a couple of years. So she calls ..."Judy, what are WE going to do with all these plums?" Well, that was an easy question for me. "Let's pick them and make jam!" Which is what we did.

We started at 10:30 a.m....we picked until, well, until we didn't have anything else to put them in. We picked a LOT of plums - Rema was so tired, she resorted to crawling. I started hiding from her - oh, dear readers, this is all an untruth. I didn't hide, but Rema did crawl, but it wasn't because she was so tired. Nope, she was too short to climb over the fence to get to a lot of the plums.
This is kind of like 'Where's Waldo'... I was hiding in the tree...the one tree that was so full of plums...Rema, for those of you who don't know her, is NOT tall. No, I feel like ... well, like Goliath, next to her. So for the blog...for Rema's ego, I was actually squatting down - to make Rema feel tall - or maybe for me not to feel so tall next to her.After our picking time was halted - it was time to make jam. We made 5 batches the first day, then 2 more the next. 76 jars of jam...delicious jam, I might add!We still had plums left over...so we each made a different plum relish, and I made - what turned out to be a real 'pucker up' (aka, TART) plum crisp. This called for dinner...so we had Rema, John, Holly, and Marvin over. Delicious...and fun!

So I'm now in the 'harvest is plentiful..' mindset, and I look out the window - oops, another untruth. I'll start again... RON looks out the window and sees the harvest of blueberries. He suggests WE go pick. Ohhhh, yum...pick a berry, eat a berry, pick a berry, eat a berry... but we picked over a gallon. At one point while I had the camera out, Ron gave me an 'action shot.'

I really don't mind that the 'workers are few' when it comes to picking fruit and making jam or other goodies from them. It's a summer thing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know blueberries grew so well in Humboldt! Those plums look good, I guess next time I'm home I'll have to stop by for a jar! Good work!

Anonymous said...

What fun!!!!!
I am so jealous I love to make jam.
I so wish, I could have been there to help.
Glad you are home safe and sound.
Missed your bolgs, and you.
Love,
Nada