Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A lunch date with Jack

The phone rang...

"Hello," I answered.

This sweet little voice was jabbering away ... I wasn't sure who it was.

I kept saying, "Excuse me, but who is this?"




Finally, there was an exasperated sigh.














I could hear the frustration in this little voice. Finally, I heard what I now know, was his sweet mama in the background saying, "Just tell her your name...just tell her it's Jack."

Being a mom myself, I tried to help. "Is this Jack?"













Then I could hear that happy little voice. We talked awhile...he asked me about my summer, I asked him about his. I asked him how his mama was doing. "Well," he said, "she's doing pretty good." So then I asked about his papa...and how life was going for him. Jack was real quiet for a second....Then I heard the excitement in his voice as he told me how his papa had a job at the hospital. I could tell Jack was proud of his parents! I could hear his mama in the background ... "jabbering away". (Jack's terminology, not mine) "Oh, I just wish she'd let me talk!" Jack whispered in the phone.

I could tell he was enjoying himself... chit chatting on the phone. Finally, Jack wanted to know if I wanted to go get some Mexican food.

"Of course!" I said... "I'll be right over."

Well, Jack had some new things to show me. He wanted me to know how grown up he is now that he's OVER 10 MONTHS OLD! Geez, I can hardly believe it! He's mastered drinking out of his cup.

When I made a big 'to-do' over it, he just looked at me like, "what's the big deal?" "Piece of cake..." he answered. His mama tried to help him with the cup..but he wanted no part of that! "I can do it MYSELF," Jack told his mama.

"Fine, Jack, just do it yourself."

Actually, I think it was at this point that he threw the cup on the floor. He spied the burrito across the table and decided to go for it.
Again, his mama tried to do it for him, but nope, Jack is over 10 MONTHS OLD. He wanted to feed himself, thankyouverymuch!He did just fine."Um, I think this could use a little more salt," Jack told us.

He's becoming a connoisseur of Mexican food!

We strolled back to Jack and his mama & papa's house to play a little longer. He wanted to show me his new flip-flop. His mama told me Jack had a 'shoe fetish.' Jack agreed. After we talked about shoes, flip-flops to be more precise, his papa came in from work. Jack was excited... his papa was excited... and I thought this would be a good time for a family shot.
Here's Jack with his mama and papa...

Thanks for calling, Jack. I enjoyed our afternoon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a hansome boy!