Sunday, August 17, 2008

Turning 54

54... I'm getting close to that double digit when dinners cost less ... commonly known as the 'senior discount.' Yep, that number is getting closer. This time next year, I'll be there.

However, this year on my birthday, we were visiting with Joshua, Erica, and Thalia. We had two free tickets left from the Southwest Airlines escapade, and they were close to expiring...so we took advantage and flew down to see the kids for the weekend...an extended weekend.

I love just hanging out with them, seeing what they do day to day. So one thing I did was take Thalia and her friend, Brittany, down to the community center pool. What fun they had...and what a great time I had just watching them - and of course, taking a few photos here and there.Then, of course, there is Blu. Blu, the passive dog (except when Ron is the aggressive one and Blu finally has ENOUGH and gives him a nip on the arm) who lets Thalia dress him up.On the morning of my birthday, I was trying to wake up downstairs...and here they came, singing Happy Birthday...with cards and gifts... I so love and adore my family!We ate out a few times... yum! I think I had the best barbeque I've ever had. That's saying a lot considering I grew up in the south - eating southern barbeque...and I've eaten Memphis barbeque... well, Lucille's was exceptional!

We visited Mission San Luis Rey... my choice... seeing as that's something I teach! I don't think it was a highlight for Joshua..but he was a good sport.

Ripsticking was practiced by everyone but me. I didn't want to take a chance on not making it to 55 in one piece. Ron...well, he gave it his best shot. I couldn't believe how good Josh had gotten on one, and Erica...well, she has her own now.
You may notice that my guy has THE LOOK... long shorts, plaid long shorts, that look of determination you only see on Olympic athletes... ok, so maybe that's a slight exaggeration.
Erica has style on her ripstick...
Look at my baby boy... I was beaming with pride. When I watch Michael Phelp's mom beaming with pride as her baby boy does something well in the 'cube' in Beijing, I know JUST what she's feeling. (ok, another slight exaggeration)
Don't worry, Josh was just showing his Pops the stance NOT to use on the ripstick.

Now, another thing I loved, was seeing the neighborhood where Joshua, Erica, and Thalia live. What is so wonderful is the fact that everyone on their block is in their late 20's and 30's. Translate: LOTS of kids! One day, a neighbor pulled out this blow up slide, and turned the water on, and before you knew it, their place was filled with kids.... kids having a great time. Look at this group! What a fun way to spend the summer!

Yep, it was a great weekend...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a great time having you guys down. We'll bring the ripsticks up for Christmas so Pops can get some more practice. Love you.
Josh, Erica, and Thalia