Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Highlights from my 'trip across the pond'

England, Ireland, Wales...what an incredible trip it was. If someone had told me 4 years ago that I would be traveling overseas with 40 high school students - well, I don't think I would have believed them, or I might have been worried that I was, well, crazy. But now I've done it 3 summers in a row, and each time it's been wonderful. This years group of students was the best overall - without a doubt. No drama...no arguing...no feeling left out...they were awesome.

I thought about the fact that I haven't been updating this blog - and it's because I'm still updating the Celtic Discovery blog. I'm still adding photos to what I had previously written. I think I just finished posting photos from July 15th.

So...I thought I would post some of my favorite photos and moments here.This is the London skyline taken from a dock in East London. This was our first night ... and Sam took us for a walk and gave us some history of this area.We didn't get to see the actual Changing-of-the-Guards at Buckingham Palace because of the weather. But I thought the delegates were able to see more. We saw these...are they guards?... but they were definitely what I would call up-close-and-personal. Well, strike that last word...personal is definitely NOT what they are!This is one of the Tube stations. You have to understand that London's subway system is ... well, it's VERY crowded... and we maneuvered the system with 44, that's FOURTY-FOUR people....all getting on and off without losing anyone!The London War Museum was awesome. This was outside of it. Do you know what it is? Guess.. give up?

It's a piece of the Berlin Wall. Wow!
Like I said, this was the best group OVERALL that I've taken. I have to clarify myself... each year the groups have been awesome, but there's been a little drama here, a little drama there, etc., and this year there was none. It was a group of 44 friends! Here I am with Kris, Jacob, and Tyler.This is the London Eye. For this, we were divided into...either 2 or 3 groups. This is the group that was with me. I had never been on this. The views of London were spectacular. Stonehenge... I had heard I'd be disappointed. That was far from the truth. I was awestruck...fascinated...it was definitely a highlight for me. My only disappointment was not being there longer. The Roman Baths in the city of Bath. They were spectacular... the architecture of the town, as in most of old Europe, fascinates me.This is Cyprien and Emily. Another highlight for me, as it has been on all the trips, is watching friendships form. Cyprien and Emily didn't know each other...and I think it was at our first night's dinner... they sat together and started talking. They'll probably always be close friends now. Obviously this is me... this was our ferry ride from southern Wales to Ireland. Kristin and I often would go together and take photos. She came and found me on the ferry ... she had seen this life preserver and thought it would make good photos. We took A LOT!"Mind the Step"... "Mind the Gap"... This was a highlight because an old student of mine who now lives in London - Lindsey - has a blog I love to read. It's called "Minding the Gap". Now, I always thought it was a cute name for a blog, but had NO idea WHY she had named it that. I just figured it was a gap of some sort between living in London and living in a small town like we do here. So...one day on the subway, as the speaker was announcing "Mind the gap"... one of the delegates repeated it....and when I heard her say it, it all clicked. Then I started hearing it everytime we were on the Tube...and I saw this sign posted on a bathroom door where there was a little step up. For the subway, it means- watch out for the gap between the subway and the platform. Waterford Crystal... oh my! I'm not a crystal-type person, one who decorates with something like that, but I had my mind made up before I left that I would buy SOMETHING from the Waterford plant... it is absolutely beautiful. We watched the steps of the crystal being made - and in this photo, Jennifer was trying her hand with some of the carving. Did I buy some? Why yes I did. I bought 2 red wine goblets... which came to about $136. Ridiculous? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes. Blarney Castle...it's beautiful. And in addition to the beautiful castle and grounds, is kissing the Blarney Stone. That's what I'm doing here...raising up after kissing it. I didn't let myself even think about how unsanitary that stone must be! You have to climb to the top of the castle, then lay down on your back. This gentleman in the red sweater was there to help you. This photo below the one of me getting "the gift of Blarney" is a view from one part of the castle.In the little quaint town of Cahersiveen, a group of young people came and played some traditional Irish music for us. Two of the girls were dressed in their Irish dancing dress and did some traditional Irish dancing for us...and then... they taught us some dances. This bridge is in the town of Cahersiveen.A definite high point was the Ring of Kerry...and specifically the Lakes of Kilarney. We went on about a 2 hour boat ride...passing under this 500+year old bridge. Beautiful! Looks pretty similar to the one in Cahersiveen. I loved the old bridges!Once we got off the boat, we ate lunch at this little cafe. This photo was taken looking back over the Lakes of Kilarney. I loved the little gnome sitting on the fence. The scenery in Ireland is spectacular!After lunch, we took off in these horse-drawn jauntys. We went about 7 miles, stopping at one point for those of us who could - to walk - uphill - so the horses could have a break! I LOVED this!Tommy, our coach driver, took us up to this place that overlooked the Lakes of Kilarney. Here I am with another leader, Steve, and on the right is Sam, our delegation manager who met us in London and was with us the entire trip.These guys were great! They all bought these 'peaked caps' and wore them all the time. From left to right is Alex G. (who traveled with me to Australia last year), Steve (one of the leaders), Joseph, Tyler, Kris, Danny, and Raymond.One night in Listowel (another quaint town!), Tommy told us this play/musical was going on. He said he'd seen it 9 times and it was spectacular. It was all sung in Gaelic...and had LOTS of Irish dancing. About 10 of us went one night and it was truly a highlight!The Cliffs of Moher... all I can say is they are spectacular...they are massive...absolutely gorgeous! Kilfenora...'The City of the Crosses'... celtic crosses everywhere - Wow!Thatched roofs...I love the look. Apparently, people still put these on their homes - not a lot, but they do. They're very expensive, but will last 30 years or so. There's some upkeep with replacing the part at the very top. This is Dustin. We traveled together as leaders last year to Australia. This year, he was the primary leader for a junior high delegation...I missed traveling with him...but we crossed paths at Bunratty Castle. It was great to see him!At Causey Farm, we learned the sport of hurling! I actually brought home a hurling stick...a used hurling stick...a stick that had been used in tournaments!The bog was a hit! Bogs cover 1/6th of Ireland. It may look like mud, but it's not. We were told that bogs are very good for your skin, that people come to the bogs just to help their skin. Well, our delegates must have great skin, because as you can see, they were all the way in! Dublin...I'm glad I went there, but it's another big city. True, there is awesome architecture... and Trinity College... but I prefer the little towns, those along the back roads. In this photo, Kristin and I were off exploring the city. I saw this flower market set up in the road...and those of you who know me, know how I love sunflowers. Ahhh, Tommy O'Brien, our very Irish coach driver. He literally helped make the Ireland part of the trip for us. His humor, his singing, his knowledge, his...well, he was great!These 4 photos are me rappelling down Penryn Castle...in Northern Wales. I was determined. I had been saying before the trip and during, that this was something I was really looking forward to. When we first got there, I looked up at the turret and thought - there is NO WAY in God's green earth that I'm going to go down that castle! But then, I kept talking to myself. I watched some go before me and I was determined. I was in my harness and it was time for my group to start climbing the stairs, the winding stairs, the 100+ winding stairs to the top. Nope, I decided I had to go to the bathroom...but I couldn't because I would have never gotten the harness off and back on. I convinced myself that I was trying to un-convince myself to go up. So up I started. Then on the way up, my right knee started to hurt. Uh-oh, I thought. I better not rappel cause it might mess up my knee. I about yelled at myself then for again trying to un-convince myself. I kept climbing and I loved it!This is Alex G. Now last year, Alex didn't do the zip line because he is so deathly afraid of heights. So...watching him rappel was a definite highlight. It took two people to coach him down, but he did it. I gave him a high five when he made it down, and it was like high-fiving a soaking wet dishrag...he was so nervous...but he did it!Penryn Castle...where we did our rappelling. This 'castle' was absolutely stunning...ivy, red ivy, growing over the walls...the mountains and mist in the background...it was postcard perfect. Now technically, this is not a castle. See those first floor windows? Too large...defense wouldn't work too well. This town is called Beddgelert. There is a famous dog grave here...yep, that's right, DOG grave. The dog even has it's own statue...in the remains of it's owner's home. Can't remember the dog's name. What a beautiful little town! This is still in northern Wales.Warwick Castle...we're back in England now. This place was absolutely gorgeous. Gee, haven't I used that term to describe other places? I actually could use it for about everything we saw. Here, the delegates learned fencing (from a guy who actually did fencing in the movie Braveheart!), and they learned archery, and then ... well, shoot, I can't remember what these sticks are called...but they learned that too!Peacocks were EVERYWHERE at Warwick! We had been warned that we wouldn't get much sleep - both from the cold, damp weather (it wasn't cold OR damp!)...and because of all the squawking of the peacocks during the night. This didn't happen either! Um? Well, as you can see, the grounds are breathtaking.Part of our group at the campsite at Warwick.Warwick CastleAfter leaving Warwick, we headed towards London, stopping in Stratford-Upon-Avon. This picture is William Shakespeare's home...or his 'supposed' home. According to Sam, (our delegation manager), everything about Shakespeare, both who he is, where he lived, etc., is 99% conjecture and 1% fact.Our last night...in Sussex...after our last dinner, we gathered for lots of pictures. While I love to travel, LOVE to travel, and even though these kids were incredible, and the itinerary was magical... it's always good to come home. This picture was at the airport, after we landed and came through customs. From left to right: Raymond, Kris, Mitzi, me, Melanie...and Alex C. in front.

These were definitely some of the highlights...

Next summer? England, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands!

No comments: