Monday, October 15, 2012

A beautiful drive

My guy and I had a great weekend in Medford, Oregon...at the Medford Jazz Festival...
We actually just went on Saturday... listening to music from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.  It was great!
Sunday morning we went out to eat breakfast...and then headed to Harry and David's.  They always have this beautiful display of pumpkins out in front... I love it...love the colors!

The Moose!
There were even PINK PUMPKINS! 

Leaving Medford, we headed down Hwy 101.  We pulled into this US Forest Service parking lot so we could switch drivers...I was having trouble staying awake...
Looking at Smokey the Bear...I told my guy I wanted a picture of him with Smokey...
and the picture taking began.  My camera had been in the trunk, but I ended up keeping it with me in the cr for the rest of the trip...
It was a gorgeous day and a gorgeous drive! 
The small towns are classic...love to drive through them...glad I don't live in one of them, though.
You can see the big airport we passed below... Just kidding, of course.  It wasn't big!
Off we drove through Redwood National Park...




We passed through Crescent City
 with it's $4.89 a gallon for regular gas!  We didn't buy any since we had gotten a DEAL in Oregon for $3.99 a gallon!
 We passed the harbor...the harbor that had a lot of damage in the tsunami a couple of years ago...or so... My guy thinks it's been longer than that...
Did you realize anchors were so large?
 Leaving Crescent City heading south, we passed a lot of beach areas...

 There was fog hanging over some of the mountains...
 We were definitely in a tsunami hazard zone...
 The fog was patchy...we were in and out of it ... but isn't it beautiful?
 Driving along the coast, there are some pretty sharp turns...
You certainly don't want to miss your turn...and end up in the Pacific!

 It was beautiful...
 I don't think I'd feel safe riding my bike on Hwy 101...as you can see, there isn't a shoulder to ride on... and with all the curves and turns... well, I think these guys are taking a big risk...
Whoa!  Who is that?  I do see some horns..some horns on a blue ox in the distance!

 I thought about Benjamin here...we were driving one day and were in an area where the trees were like this and he shouted, 'A tree tunnel!'  Yep, that's what it was like!
The big town of Klamath!

 You can take  jet boat tour... of the Klamath River, not the ocean...
 Crossing the bridge, it's guarded by 4 golden bears...
 We continued on...

 in and out of the fog...
 We weren't in a truck...and so we didn't even consider using the runaway truck ramp!

 This is the metropolis of Orick...
 This is actually a lagoon...although you can't really tell... you'll just have to take my word for it...  As we went around this corner...I got very nauseated...plus my camera battery was blinking red... I knew it was time to put up the camera...the most beautiful part of our drive was about complete...

I turned the camera back on just as we were about ready to stop... you can hear the Giants on the radio playing the Cardinals... the Giants ended up losing :(
I always love to go...to travel...but it's always good to come back home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful scenery. So glad you had a good time. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I miss that weather and scenery. Glad you guys had fun. Love you,

Josh

Anonymous said...

Judy that concrete thing is a dolos.
Laner

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery! I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Your Favorite Brother