Friday, March 30, 2018

Stan Musial, Jack Nicklaus, and my Dad

My dad...
He was a sportswriter for the Dallas Morning News and he loved his family, dogs, golf, and baseball...probably in that order.
I have this picture of my parents with me ...and our St. Bernard, Andy.  It's framed and has hung in my home for years.  I had the story behind Andy wrong...and just discovered it last week.

Andy's true name, which I knew, was Cardinal Musial of Manitou.
but the rest, I had wrong.
My dad actually bought Andy from the Manitoba kennel in Saskatchewan, Canada and had him crated and brought to him in Texas by train.
He named him Cardinal Musial of Manitou after one of his heroes...
Stan Musial of the St. Louis Cardinals...his favorite team..and favorite player.


This article ran in the Dallas Morning News...this is 1954!
I thought Stan had given the dog to my dad...but when I found this article, I learned the real story.  I called Mom and told her I had had the story incorrect...and before I could tell her what I had thought all these years, she went into the real story...the one this article tells.  She remembered every little detail.  I know it must have been a highlight for my dad!


This article was about Andy.
Jack Nicklaus was another hero of my dad.  
My dad could spend hours out in the front yard swinging his golf clubs.
He absolutely loved the game.

After Ron and I were married and living in Oregon, I got this envelope in the mail from my dad.
He had enclosed the following article.  I love it for a lot of reasons, but I especially love how it captures a part of his goodness...
Dad was in the sports department for years...and then he went to special sections and wrote a lot about cars...I assume that's when he was given this?  
(You can see where I pieced in together...when I scanned it, it was too large for my scanner.)

June 13, 1980, we lost my dad.
This column by John Anders ran shortly afterwards...and it's one we all have loved.
My dad... what an amazing man he was.
He got to see my boys...
He would be so proud of all his grandkids and great grandkids.
He'd also be crazy about our newest family member, Baxter!

It's been nearly 38 years...and he is still incredibly missed.

No comments: