Friday, April 04, 2008

Eating in DC

Washington DC has some great restaurants. I had been told that by some of my buddies who had been there.

On Easter Sunday as we were making the long trek back to the Metro station from the National Cathedral, we were tired, cold, and hungry. All of a sudden, some tantalizing smell came wafting around our head. We saw some little restaurant, can't remember what it was but we figured -at first- that that's where the smell originated. As I was looking across the street, I spotted this beautiful site, and realized THAT was the source. The Cactus Cantini. It took us about... oh about .01 of a second to decide we needed to stop. Well, margaritas? Oh my, they were superb. The food was equally as good. We scored on that one.

I had heard about Old Ebbitt's Grill. I was told, "You HAVE to go to Old Ebbitt's Grill!" This was another night. It's located by the White House and it is definitely a place that should be on your list. Great bar - the looks of it, I don't know about the bartending.

Apparently, or so I heard, this was used as a sort of command center during 9-11. Like I said, that's what I heard, but I don't know it for a fact.

On Easter Sunday when we first got off the Metro to go to the cathedral, we saw a Whole Foods Market. We did a little shopping and bought some snacks - apples, trail mix, wine, soy milk, raisin bran - and that's what we had for breakfast (all except one morning) and for lunch (all except for one afternoon). We checked out as many different restaurants as we could for dinner.

I had heard about the Capitol City Brewing Company but couldn't remember where it was and I couldn't remember where I'd read it. One night, we decided to check out Union Station and the restaurants there. As Union Station first came into sight, what should our eyes behold ... but a banner proclaiming Capitol City Brewery. Guess where we ate that night?We actually ate here twice. On our last night, we decided to go back because we had enjoyed it so much!

One afternoon, we also went to Georgetown. I loved this area. Georgetown University is beautiful, but the main area of town is full of restaurants and really nice shops. John and Jackie Kennedy lived there awhile... I took photos of their home. It is JUST what I pictured in my mind it would look like. We ate at Clyde's.During the days, we'd usually stop in the afternoon and grab a cup of coffee, sit down in a cafe, and have a snack (from Whole Foods) and drink our coffee. This would also re-energize us for some more sightseeing! We are such NON-FAST-FOOD people, that I had to take a picture of this cup of coffee. Yep, we hit McDonalds in the Air and Space Museum, but only for a cup of coffee...which I have to admit, tasted exceptionally good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like an excellent choice of beverage Pop. Glad you guys enjoyed it all
Josh

Anonymous said...

Did you not just love Washington? There is so much to see. I am glad you and the Ron had a great time. By the way, where does MetroMan come from? Love you, Becky