Sunday, April 06, 2008

When you think of Washington DC, most think of the Monuments

The Monuments are amazing...to say the least. These flags are surrounding the Washington Monument.The Washington Monument was started in 1858. It was built 152 feet but then they had to stop because funds ran out! It was nearly 25 years later before they continued building. Now it is 555 feet tall! If you look at this photo directly above, you can see where the marble changes color.
This is looking toward the Lincoln Memorial from the World War II Memorial.
The Lincoln Memorial. This statue of Lincoln is 19 feet tall!

The World War II Memorial has one pillar for the Atlantic and one for the Pacific. All the states are the smaller posts with the wreaths. There is a pool with fountains in between.Standing in the WWII Memorial, you can see the Washington Monument.
I was standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial looking back across the Reflecting Pool. The National Mall, which is at least 2 miles long, runs from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol. You can see the Capitol past the Washington Monument. If you look below the Washington Monument, you can see part of the WWII Memorial.This is the Korean War Veterans Memorial. This shows 19 gray soldiers crossing a field of junipers. Next to this is a black granite wall with a mural etched into it. This one above, is the Jefferson Memorial. This is on the Tidal Basin which is ringed with cherry blossoms. It's gorgeous!The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial was the one that surprised me the most. I had never heard anything about it and I was in awe. It's divided into 4 sections, one for each of his 4 terms as President. There are 4 granite alcoves, each with waterfalls and quotes, and some with statues. We spent more time here than at any of the others! It is on the west side of the Tidal Basin.
Eleanor....Eleanor and her BFF (just kidding... for my older readers, BFF stands for Best Friend Forever!)Breadlines....Fireside chats...I took so many pictures of the FDR Memorial...like I said, I was taken by surprise with this.

Vietnam... This bronze statue of three soldiers is actually part of the Vietnam Memorial. The Vietnam Wall is the most powerful part. The 'wall' is a black granite wedge that has the etched names of the 58,029 Americans who died or were missing in action during this war. The wall gets progressively higher as you walk along it...getting to a little over 10 feet at its highest point. You can see MetroMan looking at the wall...

The Marine Corps War Memorial ... a.k.a. as Iwo Jima Memorial

This is about a half mile walk from Arlington National Cemetary. Of course, MetroMan and I made the walk...we were already tired, but we persevered. This statue is amazing! You can see I have a number of photos here...and this is not near all the ones I took! This is 78 feet tall!

The Capitol isn't a monument, but I took so many photos of it with the cherry blossoms. I think it is beautiful and decided to include it here. You'll probably see it again.I told you you'd see the Capitol again! Our last night in DC, Ron and I were walking back to the hotel from the Capitol City Brewery. The sun was setting, and I took quite a few of the capitol with the changing sky behind it.
The White House isn't really a monument either, but here it is anyway.I'll end this post with MetroMan and his buddy, George Mason. George is a bit older than MetroMan (George was born in 1725 and MetroMan was born in 1953)... I actually didn't remember him. But when I looked it up, I read that along with James Madison, ole' George is called the "Father of the Bill of Rights." He's also considered to be one of the Founding Fathers of the United States!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The detail in those statues is amazing. The statues are massive but so incredibly detailed.

Unknown said...

Loved the Photos! I want to go now, I need to tell Larry to check this out. Looks like you both had a great time.

Love,
Sandra