Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Seventy-five years ago, this sweet photo of my Mom and Bear was taken. (No! She wasn't my mom then!) This would put her around 6 years old - seeing as today she turns the big 81! (Now I realize this post may say April 11...which would mean she's still the small 80...but I'm doing this early so I can post this first thing in the morning. )

I do believe this was taken in Waco, Texas.

She was still an only child.



Mom tells me what a tomboy she was...playing sports of all kinds. I can see this because at 81 she's probably still more athletic than I am at a young and chipper 53!

A few years later, on April 11th, my favorite Aunt Jane was born.

Now my Mom had a sister! Jane Lee

I'm sure Aunt Jane cramped her style for awhile...but they've been the best of friends since I've been around - which like I said, has been about 53 years.
Did you realize I said that little Jane Lee was born April 11th? That's today... So...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY VERY FAVORITE AUNT JANE!!!After Mom grew up a bit, she met:About 5 years after this was when I came into the picture... Dogs were obviously in the picture too. This one was Andy. My Dad absolutely LOVED dogs...and his family!John David entered the picture about 5 years after me. John David and I had kids...which gave 'Saddy' some grandkids - who she has always adored.Me, Mimi, Lindsey, and Mom... 4 generations.

She has always enjoyed teaching them the important things in life like...
how to shine shoes. Yep, that's right. My mom loves to give a good shine to a pair of shoes. She also likes to clean windows...and mow lawns...and play baseball. You might want to go back up to the top of this post and check out little Bonnie Lou with the umbrella. You may notice that even then, she doesn't look too comfortable in that pose. I bet if you had given her a bat, she would have looked more natural.

The beach is a place Mom has always loved. She and I took a road trip to Florida one summer. We beach-hopped down the gulf side on our way to Key West...and we beach-hopped along the Atlantic side on the way back...each time stopping in Pensacola to see Joshua. When we moved to the coast, Mom loved it.
Cooking is another area we should talk about. She gets a little frustrated at times...like when sugar is left out of a pumpkin pie...or a knife drops in the drippings of a turkey. Look at that face...does she look disgusted? (the answer is YES)Last year I was able to fly down and spend the BIG 80 with her... but this year I'm just sitting here at my computer, reminiscing, being very thankful... and wishing my Mom a very
Happy Birthday!

I love you!
Me, Mom and John David at Mom's 80th birthday party....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, I'm writing this with tears. It is so sweet and beautiful. Thank you so much and I hope Jane will be able to see it. I know it would please her too. I love you, Mom/

Anonymous said...

Hey Happy Birthday Saddie!! You still have that spring in your step and fire in your belly! We all feel very lucky to be in your life and really appreciate who you are. Thanks for always being there for us all and being our Sadsack.

We love you and wish you a very Happy Birthday!!!

Love,

Gabe & Emily

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Saddie! We love you and can't wait to see you.
Josh, Erica, and Thalia

Anonymous said...

Mother, I'm glad you had a great Birthday. Thanks for all you do.

I love you,

John David

Anonymous said...

We love you Saddie! Happy Birthday! Thanks for all you've done for me over the past 27 years. I hope you have a wonderful 81st year! Love, Lindsey & Donnie