Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Smithsonians - Chapter 1

The Smithsonian.

Being there a week, there was absolutely no way to even begin to see it all. Two of the museums we visited were the National Air and Space and the Museum of the American Indian.

Isn't this a beautiful picture? Oh, I'm sure you are thinking it's a masterpiece out of the National Gallery of Art. You're incorrect. This is actually MetroMan and I. I think I might enlarge it and have it framed...yeah, I could hang it in our new family room!!! Um? I'll have to think on that one. See that black space in front of my face? That's my camera...taking that picture. Black means cold...so now you may be able to figure out why your nose gets cold... there's just not a lot of heat there - naturally.

The Air and Space museum was amazing. I hear it's the 'most popular' of the museums. It sure got crowded. We were there a total of about 7 or so hours, and we didn't see half of it. Take a look at some of it:Can you imagine going up in space in one of these space capsules? This is my friend, Amelia's, plane. I'm not sure where she is. I think she got lost.The Spirit of St. LouisThese are our friends, Orville and Wilbur. I asked them to stand on their front porch so I could take a picture. They said, "Sure!"I can't remember if Orville or Wilbur was riding this bike... it belongs to both of them.It's the plane...the 1903 model. This IS the 1903..the actual one. However, the material was replaced, but they have the original material in a case so you can see it. This was the entrance to the Wright Brothers exhibit. This, in my opinion, was one of the best decorated. I guess in a museum, decoration is probably NOT the most important part of an exhibit...but I like it!This is a letter Wilbur wrote to the Smithsonian! I wish my students had that beautiful cursive!

Wonder who this top hat belongs to? In the Air and Space museum? Um???? Let me think?
Well, I'll be dadgummed! Ole honest Abe! Now, you may be wondering what in the world Abraham Lincoln has to do with the Air and Space Museum? The answer is 'NOTHING.'

Actually, the Museum of American History is closed for renovations. Because of that, some displays are in a section of the Air and Space.
Ohhh, from my favorite movie... Dorothy's ruby red slippers!

The National Museum of the American Indian was also phenomenal...starting with their building!It's the closest Smithsonian to the Capitol. While we were there, an exhibit of 50 Native American dresses was on display. Here are some of the dresses...and some of the art, from the museum.BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.


Remember, this is just two of the 18 Smithsonians!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is incredible! The exhibits are huge. I can't wait to see more.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I would love to see the museum. I didn't know that Amelia had a plane on display. The pictures are great. I'm with Gabe. When will we see the rest? Where is the picture of your new room? Love Mom