Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Sami

Sami ...

She's my niece, my brother's daughter.

Yesterday she became a high school graduate...a milestone ... a stepping stone to the next phase of life. Now it's on to college - one year at a local college, then off to see other parts of the state.

It's hard for me to totally realize/accept/believe that Sami is old enough to be out of high school ... but, of course, I know it's true. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult if we lived closer and I could have watched her grow up day by day instead of holiday by holiday with summers thrown in here and there.

I found this first picture as I was cleaning out the mess that we call our house right now. Look at her! Sami is the shorter one... this might be her cousin, Elizabeth, but I'm not positive.

I have always loved this photo of Sami and Lindsey. We had gone to watch a Texas Rangers baseball game. If I remember right, it was HOT!Here is Sami (in the light blue print dress) with Addison and her cousins - Elizabeth and Emily. You can see here the nurturing side of Sami...with her arm around her younger cousin, Emily.One time my brother, Becky, Addison, and Sami came out to visit. We, of course,were in San Francisco. I think this might be one of the events that put a love of travel in both Sami and Addison. We had such a good time. You can see how windy it was... but as you can see, Sami is still smiling. Becky is trying to put on a good smile - but dadgumit, it was cold!I showed Addison and Sami Pier 39. You can see that Sami had already made a purchase!This guy in Sausalito was fun to take pictures with. He liked to make faces or do funny things when you were having your picture made. Sami loved it...and of course this aunt took a fair share of photos!Sami used to really enjoy the water. I'm not sure how much she swims these days, but she was often in the water when they had a pool at their house. Here we are at a place called Fern Canyon. Joshua had joined us this day...back in about 1997!
Through the years Sami has grown up...We've had new members added to our family ... and Sami has always been there to make everyone feel welcome, to feel a part of our family......including the feline and canine additions. Biscuit felt right at home around Sami!Sami loves her brother... and I know he loves her too. I'm sure he's wanted to ... well, maybe strangle her a time or two ... but that's how it goes with brothers and sisters!Yep, my little niece has grown up... Sami, Congratulations on your graduation! Your Aunt Judy loves you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a fun week of Samantha's graduation. First there was the church service, then lunch, then a party and Dave and Becky's and then Tuesday night, the graduation ceremony at Denton. Wish all you could have been there to help celebrate Samantha's day. This blog is so very nice and I know Samantha will be so pleased. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Aunt Judy,
This means so much to me that you thought about me on my graduation day. I love you and Uncle Ron (Bird) so much. I wish you could have been there to see me walk across the stage on Tuesday night. I am going to come visit you and the family sometime soon! I miss you all and love you all so much. Thanks again Aunt Judy.
-Sami

Anonymous said...

Judy, thanks for writing about Samantha. I loved the pictures. Wish all of you could have been here for the party and the graduation ceremony.

Love ya,

Your favorite Brother

Anonymous said...

Judy, This is so special. I know that it meant a lot to Sami. You are so sweet to do this for her. We missed our Calif. family at the party- we had fun. There was 1,184 student to go through graduation, it was long but a wonderful memory. Again, thanks, Love, your sister in law, Becky Lee