Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I guess I'm a little behind the times...

'Google' has become a household name. I tell my students that 'Google' is both a noun and a

verb. When they ask me a question I don't know, I'll often answer them with, "Hold on, let me google it."

Actually, just this weekend when our drain at home got clogged, I told my guy I'd go 'google' it to see what they said about unglogging drains. I did, and it told us to put a cup of baking soda in the drain, then follow it with 3 cups of boiling water.

It didn't work.

I also love the different Google logos. The first one was on their page August 25th...to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Galileo's first telescope! This one below was celebrating the 4th of July. Cute!
My buddy, Pamela, just told me something else about Google which I thought was amazing. When I finally remembered to tell Gabe about it tonight, he told me he had known about it for a long time... and he added, "I've known about it so long, I've forgotten about it." I realized then I was a bit behind the times.

Maybe some of you readers of the Johnston Chronicles don't know about it. So I'll broadcast it right here...

On your cell phone, put the number for Google in your contacts. It's 466-453. Yes, I know it's a digit short, but it's correct. Just put it in your cell phone.

Then send a text message... just naming a place...for example, just text the name of a restaurant. That's it, just the name, and press 'send.' In a very short time, you'll receive a text back with the address and phone number of the restaurant. I was in shock...

pretty amazing, or at least, I think so!


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

the text message thing is amazing! i wonder if they have that over here...