Monday, August 10, 2009

Judy, Lynne, & Dustin do Europe

...with 37 high school students!

This itinerary was titled, "Experience Europe" and fortunately for me this year - with my new little men - it was only a 14 day trip. Dustin, Lynne, and I traveled together 2 summers ago when we took a group all over Australia, so we knew we'd have a great time together!

I don't usually put photos of me on the blog, partly because I don't usually have any photos of me since I'm the photographer, but the three of us documented this trip together!
Windsor Castle...the Queen's home. We knew she was home since the flag was flying above it. Unfortunately, she didn't invite us in for tea!
Standing by one of the pillars at the entrance to St. Paul's in London. This was on Sunday and we went in as they were preparing for the 11 a.m. service. Since we were there at 10 a.m., we were too early to attend the service.
At Medievel Banquet, Lynne and I had our photo made with King Henry VIII.
Our group by the Tower of London...
Lynne and I in the hats they wore within the Tower of London... a bit heavy!
with the Beefeaters!

This is a rose garden within the grounds of Warwick Castle. Most of our high schoolers weren't too interested in the roses, but Lynne and I thought they were beautiful!

Also at Warwick, we participated in sword fighting. Don't we look mean...and dangerous?


The three of us at Warwick Castle in England.

Stonehenge...what can I say? I'm in awe.


After our overnight ferry ride to France, we went to Omaha Beach. These first two photos are where guns and bunkers were located to fight off the attackers. Around the point in the background is Omaha Beach. This part of the trip was highly emotional for me. My dad was in the Battle of Normandy and at Omaha Beach - probably the bloodiest battle of WWII.

This picture below is the monument that's been placed on Omaha Beach.

Standing in the gardens - a small fraction of the gardens - of the Palace of Versailles which is outside of Paris, France.
Below, is the famous - infamous? - glass pyramid entrance to the Louve.


Lynne and I are on the top platform of the Eiffel Tower...
At Montmarte, the three of us found this little cafe and sat and shared a crepe and some espresso... We absolutely loved just sitting there, watching the people, and talking with our delegates as they would cruise by. In Brussels, Belgium, we went to Planet Chocolat... ahhh, divine Chocolate! (Yes, I know the C in Chocolate is capitalized...it was so .... so tastey, it deserves a capital C!)

In the Netherlands, in a little town called Edam - outside of Amsterdam, we went bike riding. I absolutely loved this... seeing the town this way... and it's what everyone does - ride bikes!
We went on a cruise on the Amstel River, which runs through Amsterdam. Dustin got some photos of Lynne and I...

It was a grand time in some magical places. Belgium and the Netherlands have to be two of my favorite places I've ever been!

As far as Dustin and Lynne... "Go Team!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, I love this blog. The pictures of Omaha Beach with you standing where maybe your dad had stood. I don't know your emotions but they must have been strong. I also am glad to see pictures of you, Lynne and Dustin. So glad you enjoyed your trip. Love you, Mom