Monday, September 22, 2008

An "Old" fifty ... or a "Young" fifty?

Well, I'm not actually 50 years old... but close. I'm 54...as of August. Ok, so maybe it's not exactly close, but I'm just barely 54, so you might as well just think 53.

I started thinking about how some people can seem really old at a particular age, and others can seem so young at the same age.

This all started because of my new glasses...that I got last week. They're not brown, but more of a wine color...which has absolutely nothing to do with it...it's the style of the glasses I'm talking about. But speaking of wine...well, hold on a minute. I'll be right back. Mine are more like the top pair, but the color of the bottom pair.

My kids at school were impressed. "Wow, Mrs. Johnston, you got new glasses!" I asked them if they thought I was stylish! They did.Faith and her stylish teacher... (that's me!)

They also love my tennis shoes. Let me model:
My mom used to always say, "You're only as young as you feel." Um? Well, somedays I guess I must be 95 years old...and other days I feel a lot younger.

I remember when I was young, I'd go to visit Mimi. Mimi didn't seem old to me, but I don't remember her seeming young to me either. She was Mimi...and that was perfect. My dad's mom lived about an hour away. I called her Mam-maw. I loved her, but she seemed SO MUCH older to me than Mimi. I remember when Mimi would drive away, leaving me with Mam-maw, I'd be scared...scared that she would die while I was there and I wouldn't know what to do. I didn't know all Mam-maw's neighbors, but I did know Mimi's. Mimi and Mam-maw were probably close to the same age, but my perception of their age - their strength ... was so different.

Isn't it funny what you remember? Why does that stand out so clearly to me? I have wondered before if it affects the way I dress ... or act?

I'm definitely around 50... but I like to think I'm a young 50.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jutes! A young 50 you are and always will be. I think you are more like an 'experienced' 29 than a young 50 but I've always thought you seemed young, and hip! I am at a similar crossroads in my life at an 'actual' 29 so I can relate...albeit metaphorically. Anyway, your kids, kids at school and traveling kids will keep you younger than you probably even want to be. We all love our Jutes!