Friday, January 01, 2010

Black-eyed peas

You may wonder what Emily is doing to this sweet little man...this little man who happens to be one of my incredible grandsons...this little man who is falling in the footsteps of his southern ancestors...this little man who is making his Mimi proud...actually, his mama and daddy are making his Mimi proud because I seriously doubt if Emerson would have thought to do this on his own.

After all, I'm not there to advise...

But his daddy, even though he has never lived in the Lone Star State...still has southern blood coursing through his veins...

and his sweet mama, even though she doesn't even have any blood relatives in or from Texas, has the roots of her little man in her best interest...
My little Emerson... is, on this New Year's Day of 2010... his very first New Year's Day...

is eating a black-eyed pea!

I don't think there's a single New Year's Day that I haven't eaten black eyed peas...it was put into my psyche as I was growing up... you ALWAYS eat at least ONE black eyed pea on New Year's Day...

It's for good luck...

some say it's also for prosperity...

but I've always just known it was for good luck.

Now, I'm not a superstitious person... but I am nostalgic... and it's something our family has always done. I don't know that Joshua has been as diligent...and I don't know if Lindsey has been either...

but I'll hope they remember!

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technology is amazing. The extra black eyed peas beyond the obligatory "one" black eyed pea are still warm! I snapped those babies on my phone, emailed directly to THE BLOGGER and Presto! they are online for the world to see.

What's next? Landing on the moon?!

GABE

Anonymous said...

Emerson King, I am so proud of you for eating your black eyed pea. I have just finished eating mine with a grill cheese sandwich. I have never missed a New Years day yet. So, keep up the tradition and tell your parents that I'm proud of them too. Happy New Year to you three. I love you all. Saddie

Judy said...

That would be amazing! If anyone gets to the moon, I'll blog it.

On a more serious note...I TRIED every way I could think of to get that video on the blog...but it won't let me save it...guess all technology isn't amazing when I can't figure it out! He'll be crawling in a matter of minutes/days! SO CUTE!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, he is quite a hoot with his rocking back and forth! It is very funny and cute.

Since it came from my phone I have no idea what program it requires. Two steps forward one step back eh?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Did Emerson have any ice cream for dessert. Gabe, did you share?

UJ