Monday, January 07, 2008

The chase is on...

The chase? No, I'm not chasing after my guy...he's snoozing on the couch.

See this photo on the left? That thing sticking up, which I think most of the United States calls a chimney, well, Ron said it's called a chase. OK.

I looked up 'chase' in the dictionary and it didn't say a thing about a chimney. It said 'to hurry quickly,' 'to pursue', 'to frighten or force away.' That was from The Newbury House Dictionary. I think Mr. Newbury and I think alike and speak the same language.

Ok, so I figured Mr. Webster would know what a chase was.
"Mr. Webster, what's a chase?"
"Well, it means 'to follow as to catch', or 'to run after', or 'to drive away' or even 'to hunt.'
"Yep, that's what I thought!"

But then, I happened to glance down and saw this: chase - v - chased, chasing - to ornament (metal) as by engraving. What? That still doesn't make any sense to me.

Maybe there's a "Man's Dictionary" that has words like that?

Regardless, this is what Pete and his crew did today.You may - or may not - notice that the eaves are even? They were trimmed and are ready for the facia boards. (Ron thinks that how you spell 'facia'.) Neither Newbury or Webster had ANY idea what I was talking about.I had to throw this picture of our growing 'pile' in here for Gabe. It's not comparable to the one that he had. (Notice I said HAD?)Here's a partial view of the house with the 'chase' showing.This is a full view, one that you wouldn't have unless you were standing across the street. Our street is a cul-de-sac, so the partial view is how it will be seen most.

Weather permitting, tomorrow the roofers come and at least roof the addition and hopefully the part of the house facing the addition..but eventually, the entire house will be reroofed.

Bob, just so you know, you're at the top of my list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking good Jutze.....
Josh